UBINET is a doctoral training network co-organised between Tampere Universty of Technology (Pervasive Computing) and University of Oulu (Computer Science and Engineering). In addition, University of Tampere, Tauchi unit is participating in the network's activities.
Ubiquitous computing - also called pervasive computing - refers to the new form of technology solutions which transforms people's interactions with other people and their environments in both leisure and working lives. Ubiquitous interaction involves networked and context-aware technologies embedded in physical environments. This paradigm transforms interaction with machines, systems and services into new types of augmented interaction. Interactive devices include smart mobile devices, wearable technologies, public displays and sensor-based everyday objects. Human users interact with these technologies in versatile ways; the interaction can include novel modalities such as speech, gestures, whole-body movements, 3D vision and even smell. The design and deployment of human-centered technologies calls for research in ubiquitous interaction - how human users and novel technological systems interact to improve people's lives.
The network's field of science / field of research
The main field of research is Human-Computer Interaction. This field is based on several scientific fields, including computer and engineering sciences, psychology and sociology. In the case of this network, the main field is computer science and engineering, but the students will have backgrounds also in the humanistic sciences.
The research topics of the Ubiquitous Interaction doctoral training networks include the following:
- Interaction in smart environments
- Ambient and public displays
- Tangible and hybrid user interfaces
- Social computing and crowdsourcing
- User experience and emerging practices in ubiquitous environments
- Gamification of interaction with embedded devices
- Creativity in ubiquitous environments
- Quality of experience of multimodal ubiquitous interaction technologies
- Design and evaluation methodologies for constructing meaningful everyday experiences
- Sensor networks and device interactions through the Cloud
Objectives of UBINET
- Offer a fruitful educational network for the doctoral students conducting research in ubiquitous interactions
- Establish a doctoral curriculum around the topic of ubiquitous interactions
- Provide an international network of researchers and young scholars working on ubiquitous interaction
- Put the visibility of Finnish ubicomp research in to the forefront of the international research scene; help students publish and be active in the best ubicomp-related venues